Are Americans Outliers?


As a professor of Communication, a field of study some consider to be a "Social Science," like Psychologists, Sociologists, and Economists, I am interested in studying and understanding human behavior and beliefs. However, I am unusual as most of my research and interest comes from the years I have spent living on the small island of Taiwan. As someone born and raised in the US, Taiwan strikes me as a fascinating place full of interesting surprises and contrasts with what may count as "normal" in the US. But then my wife, native of Taiwan, often asks me why anyone would be interested in learning about Taiwan? Why would Americans care about this island nation-in-dispute?

So should I be like most of my colleagues in the US who spend most of their time and interest surveying, conducting experiments, observing, recording the activities and reactions of Americans? Or, to put it more accurately, should I follow the vast majority who spend their time studying samples of students at a "major university" in the US? If I did so, then I wouldn't have to be concerned with the "culture" problem every time I write up a study. Or would I?

The more I reflect upon Americans' behavior and beliefs, the more convinced I become that if there exists a "central tendency" of universal human behavior, the US of A is not the place to find it. Americans are far more individualistic than most peoples of this world. For example, it is most disheartening to see the political discourse and see so many people protesting/blocking/impeding health reform. How can anyone see that the US does not have a health care system (it only has markets), what exists now is dysfunctional, out of control, and must be reformed now? But my guess is that those who yell loudest look at their own situation and think that it's okay. They don't want to risk having to pay more, sacrifice any more for the benefit of others. I'm not saying that Americans are not generous and don't have many excellent qualities, that make this a far better place to live than most other places. Nevertheless, we are not the norm; there is no "universal" norm; all people, all cultures, all groups, create and constitute what for them is "common sense."


Comments

  1. I blame Fox news, which ultimately is run by an Australian.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on my blog. Please keep comments civil and relevant.

Popular posts from this blog

Life inside the Bubble: If not now, when?

Blog theme--seeking wisdom