Time Passes

It's been a busy week for me in Macau. I completed and turned in a document that has the "Methods" section for research activities I plan to carry out this year with support from a Univ of Macau grant. Then I learned that I had to turn in another form to recruit and advise PhD students. I finished that this week. On Friday, a potential student came to me and asked if I'd be her sponsor. So that was fast! Fortunately she is a journalist and teacher and does not need funding. That means I can supervise both her and one other funded student. I'm also preparing documents for my work permit, and my daughter's stay permit. And finally, I went to my first Cantonese language class on Wednesday. I've signed up for a 30 hour class that meets Monday and Wednesday evenings. My first impression is that the teacher is good and course materials helpful. I hope to gain a basic knowledge and then improve my speaking and listening ability on my own.

I'm preparing to run a full marathon in Taipei on March 18. Arrangements are now set and all I have to do is put in the necessary miles. Last Saturday I ran on the trails for 2 hours and 34 minutes. I knew that I had to run longer, and did this morning, running for 3 hours and 7 minutes. It's hard for me to know how far that is as most of the run is on trails. The terrain is uneven and there is a lot of up and down, so my average running speed is slower than it would be if I ran on roads. But I estimate that I covered at least 20 miles. (Trail running is physically more demanding than road running as you're using more lower leg muscles to maintain balance, in addition to the work of going up and down steep hills.) At the end, while I was tired, I didn't feel too bad. The final 20 minutes was on sidewalks and roads and I was able to pick up the pace and felt quite good. So I'm encouraged and am confident that I am in shape to complete the marathon, and hopefully run faster than I did last year in the Oklahoma City Marathon, going under 3 hours and 30 minutes. That's my goal.

Today is our anniversary. Donna and I were married 23 years ago, on a sunny day in Taichung, Taiwan. We've been together for every anniversary since, except for today. I miss her and the family. But it's only temporary. She's coming to see me in March and we'll celebrate then. Next year we'll be together here in Macau, with our daughter Pearl. Here's to many more years together!

I found these scanned copies of our wedding studio photos. We were so young and beautiful then!! Today we're still beautiful. But the beauty has gone from the outside to the inside.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog theme--seeking wisdom

Life inside the Bubble: If not now, when?