Environmental Problems in Macau!

This morning, after taking my daughter to school, I returned by climbing the trail up to Taipa Park 大潭山. As I was walking along the section that is closest to the chimneys of the Incinerator, I came across dead frogs (toads?) on the trail. I did not count the exact number, but estimate around 20. All were fully grown and were healthy until recently. But they were all face down, dead, with excreted fluid coming out of their mouths. Here's a picture of one:

Other pictures can be found here

As I walked further down the trail, about 100 meters from where I saw the first frog/toad, I didn't see anymore.

If anyone knows why they died, or what could have caused their deaths, it would be appreciated.

Comments

  1. Hi Todd,

    That's definitely weird, and so far unheard of in this town, as far as I know. It's hard to understand what exactly went on by looking at the pictures.
    Have you seen anything like it again ever since?
    Cheers,
    Adon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adon,

    I have moved to a new place and do not go to Taipa Park trail as often as before. So I have not seen it again.

    On the day when I saw the dead frogs, there was a change in the weather with heavy fog that moved in. Frogs are very sensitive to the environment, and I guess that emissions from the incinerator, combined with very still air, may have led to their deaths. Absent these conditions I don't thinks this will happen again. But I think this should be monitored.

    Best,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on my blog. Please keep comments civil and relevant.

Popular posts from this blog

Blog theme--seeking wisdom

Life inside the Bubble: If not now, when?